Sunday, May 31, 2009

Visual Studio 2010 IDE

I’ve now had a little over a week to play with the beta of Visual studio 2010. Overall I think the improvements are a step in the right direction. I like the new WPF editor, although it seems sluggish in the beta, I hope that Microsoft will address it before release.

One of the nicest IDE enhancements is the Call Hierarchy browser. This window allows you to see all of the calls in and out of a method. It’s definitely helpful during refactoring and debugging.



Another interesting window I stumbled upon is the debug history window. The debug history window gives you a view of calls made made during debugging.



The biggest issue I think in the near term will be with third party vendors since the underlying visual studio extension API has been completely changed. I know that Code Rush will not work and according to a post in their forum, it will be a total rewrite to get it working in VS2010. So it will be some time before we see third party vendor offerings for Visual Studio.

No comments: