Sunday, February 14, 2016

Making a change

I have been a windows programmer for over 15 years and in that time I have worked with a number of development platforms from MFC to .Net. The Microsoft ecosystem is definitely a rich and evolving system, but this year I decided to branch out. I purchased a MacBook Pro and switched from windows to OS X. The hardware is incredible compared to the numerous Windows boxes I have had over the years. But more importantly is the ecosystem and how apps and hardware just work together. I have since purchased an iPhone and iPad and that is were the ecosystem shines. The sheer number of apps available on the Apple platform as opposed to the windows platform is incredible to a me as a long time Windows enthusiast. I have since started to learn iOS programming in both Objective C and Swift. Swift of course is my current favorite for learning and programming in iOS, it's power and elegance are defiantly a plus for anyone moving to the platform. Another thing that stands out and maybe it's my perception, but the development stack seems more uniform and unlike Microsoft, there is no conflicting messages regarding technologies. Honestly one of the things I've always hated about the Microsoft stack was the "Here today, gone tomorrow" uncertainty when it came to technologies and if you've developed in the Microsoft space for any amount of time you know what I mean. Right now I continue to learn and explore the Apple platforms and everyday is a new learning opportunity.

No comments: